PRE ’65 HOT RODS & KUSTOMS
Neo Traditional & Traditional Style | No Billet | No Digital
Vintage Torque Fest has worked to remove the subjectivity from the show criteria. This means that Torque Fest has tried to clearly quantify the entry rules and write them specific enough for anyone to determine if their vehicle would be allowed in.
If your vehicle does not meet entry requirements, there will be a separate area where the muscle cars, street rods, stock originals 1949 and newer, and other non-qualifying vehicles will park. This parking area is directly in back of the spectator entrance and these vehicles will be seen by everyone. A “new car” VIP section will also be in the normal parking lot so new Camaros, Corvettes, etc do not have to park next to the daily drivers.
If you are unsure if your vehicle will meet the requirements of the show, email clear pictures of the front & drivers side, rear & passenger side, and interior showing the dash and steering wheel to email@example.com. Please note that if you wait until the week of the show to email us – that is TOO late. Email notification will need to be complete by April 20.
We are not being elitist or think that your vehicle isn’t cool – we just want to focus on rides that would be driving around in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s. If you have never picked up a copy of Rod & Custom or Hop Up circa 1956 – do yourself a favor and go get some!
These are the guidelines we will be adhering to.
To get into the show, your vehicle must be a 1964 or earlier “Hot Rod” or “Custom” built in a “Traditional Style”.
All stock appearing/restored vehicles pre 1949 are welcome at Vintage Torque Fest!
Any vehicles from 1949-1964 that appear stock will park in the Classic & Chrome section.
A couple of modifications to an otherwise stock vehicle will most likely get ya in the door.
- MOST IMPORTANT RULE-UNSAFE VEHICLES SHOULD BE NOT BE DRIVEN TO TORQUE FEST. We are NOT doing Safety Inspections at Vintage Torque Fest. The entry to the show does not mean that we have deemed your vehicle safe to drive on the roads or dirt track. Driver assumes all normal, reasonable, and prudent responsibilities for maintaining the safety of their vehicle. Drive shafts visible from inside the vehicle, suspensions improperly mounted, fuel that is not inside a proper gas tank or some other fuel cell will be asked to park outside the Dubuque County Fairgrounds – we do not need the police involved in citations for driving unsafe vehicles.
- No art cars – what is an art car? As one buddy suggested – you know you have an art car when it looks like you had a giant magnet attached to your vehicle as you drove through the local junkyard and permanently welded anything that stuck to the car. OTHER definitions of art car – Vehicles that look like a skeleton, pumpkin, or any other non auto related items are art cars. These are not traditional hot rods. Further definition of art car – Rats that are attached to vehicles are considered art cars. Anything that is attached to the vehicle that is intended to shock or have comedic value will wind up being considered an art car. Vehicles in rust, primer, or survivor paint are WELCOME as long as they do not fall into the “art car” category as described above.
- No billet anything (if you have some part on your engine that is billet – DONT open your hood!) If you have a billet steering wheel or column – put a shirt or coat over it!
- All fenderless 1949-1965 vehicles will be in Classic & Chrome parking.
- No neon, 80’s style monochromatic paint or mural graphics.
- No independent front suspension on fenderless vehicles.
- No Tune Port Injection or Electronic Fuel Injection (with open hoods).
- No trailered street legal vehicles. We welcome period correct race, sprint, modified, midget, drag cars. Obviously these will be trailered in to the show, but the trailers will be parked off site after the car is unloaded. We simply will NOT have room to park trailers in the spectator parking. If you wish to purchase a camping spot to park your trailer – then you can arrange that with the fairgrounds. Otherwise please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details about trailer parking within 1.5 miles of the event. If you plan on unloading your vehicle on Saturday – plan on being there before 7am. Friday will not be as crowded, so Friday drop off will not be as much of an issue.
- No stock or stock appearing vehicles 1949 and newer. All Torque Fest show vehicles need to have at least two major visual modifications. This includes – but not limited to: lowered, have a wheel change, have a custom paint job, have body modifications, or something that makes them a hot rod or a custom. Missing hubcaps and hanging dice are not considered modifications. Again – if you are unsure – send a picture via email.
- LOW PROFILE TIRES/RAISED WHITE LETTERS may get you in the Classic & Chrome parking. This is not a 70’s show. Also if you have 50 series or lower profile tires this will be a vehicle that will be in VIP parking.
- Wheels should be period correct to the hot rod or custom vehicle they are on and be on the “Acceptable Wheel” list. Aftermarket wheels that are on the acceptable list should be no larger than 15” in diameter.Wheels larger than 15″ need to be original stock or reproductions of stock wheels. For example, 16″ Ford Wires, 16″ Ford steelies, tall thin Model A wheels (17″ 19″, etc.). It is also acceptable if you are running enlarged reproduction versions of a stock wheel such as 17″ steelies, 18″ ford wires, etc.
- Again, aftermarket wheels such as the original style Torque Thrusts, Torque Thrust II’s, or Torque Thrust D’s should be no larger than 15″.
- Examples of wheels that are for VIP Parking HERE
- Vehicles with wheels that were introduced after 1965 will be in the VIP parking area. We WILL allow GM Rally wheels that do not have center caps or beauty rings!
- Again – if you have questions – email us.
- Modern upgrades that you can SEE, like aero-dynamic/modern mirrors are for Classic & Chrome parking. Digital dash boards will need to be covered to be allowed entry to Vintage Torque Fest. Turbo Diesel powered vehicles are not traditional and are for Classic and Chrome parking
- LED taillights that have the traditional/stock appearance are acceptable. LED lights that are thin single, multi row, or billet frames will be parked in Classic & Chrome area.
- Vehicles that have more than 4 wheels will be parked in Classic & Chrome area. If you have a stock vehicle that is Pre-’49 then these will be accepted.
Other Notes Of Importance!
- Just because you got into Vintage Torque Fest or other traditional hot rod shows in previous years -does NOT mean you will get in this year – the criteria will be enforced this year.
- We hope that custom car owners realize the coolness factor of your car goes down by 90% with your hood and trunk open….and it is very rare that cars with open hoods ever get national photo coverage. (We will have national photographers on site doing articles for Hot Rod Deluxe, Ol Skool Rodz, Car Kulture Deluxe, Traditional Rod and Kulture, Rolls and Pleats, and more)
- Stuffed animals, cry baby dolls, rubber rats, fake food drive in trays, skeletons in passenger seats are not for Vintage Torque Fest.
- No display setup/tables set up around your car. Your car quality will speak for itself…if you need to tell people who did the work on your car – feel free to stand there all day – but honestly, there is way too much going on to just sit there – go out and enjoy the show! Torque Fest does not encourage display boards….but if you have a display board for your car – please respect your neighbors and be sure that if they fall – the display boards will not hit the car next to you! Display boards for invited indoor cars are welcome.
- Disc brakes, electronic ignition, and radial tires are OK.
Bikes must be old-school/traditional looking choppers, bobbers, or pre ‘75 cafe racers. All pre-1965 STOCK motorcycles are welcome. Jap bikes are OK – no crotch rockets though – take a look at the current trends in Japan – the Yamaha SR400 is being transformed into something completely new.
- No art bikes
- No stock bikes
- No twin cam Harleys
- No new Indians, Buell, Big Dog, or West Coast Chopper/OCC style bikes
- No aluminum wheels
- No wide rear tires
- EVO bikes are OK – just need to be TRADITIONAL STYLE!
In order to get everyone in and parked quickly, there will be no reserved parking. If your club wants to park together, you must arrive together.
We reserve the right to refuse entry to any vehicle that we feel does not fit the spirit of the show
We also give special consideration for volunteers – if you see something that doesn’t quite meet the guidelines noted above, but it’s in the show – odds are the owner has contributed multiple hours to help the show run. We love our volunteers and they do get special treatment.
Thanks to TudorJeff, the Chrome Czars, and Cliffy for input on entry requirements.